Friday 3 May 2013

The result for St Enoder Division and some thoughts


It is somewhat late, but I must make an initial comment on today’s local election results.

I am obviously delighted to have been re-elected to serve my home parish on Cornwall Council and I would like to thank everyone who supported me with their votes. The turnout was down on 2009, and the full result was as follows:

Dick Cole (Mebyon Kernow) – 834 (87%)
Elizabeth Hawken (Independent) – 126 (13%)

Overall, MK won four seats. Andrew Long and Loveday Jenkin were also re-elected to the authority and my good friend Matt Luke was elected to represent Penwithick and Boscoppa in Clay Country.

We also had a number of near-misses. Five candidates missed out on election by less than 45 votes, including Fiona Carlyon (Tywardreath and Fowey) who lost by 17 votes and Rod Toms who lost out in Newlyn and Goonhavern by only 26 votes.

I intend to comment in more detail on the unitary election results over the weekend.

I am also pleased to report that the following MK members have been elected to town and parish councils: John Gibbs (Bodmin Town Council), Zoe Fox (Camborne Town Council), Steve Richardson (Illogan Parish Council), Phil Rendle and Rob Simmons (Penzance Town Council), and Derek Collins (St Austell Town Council). Sadly Tony Leamon missed out in Falmouth.

More news to follow soon.

No comments: