Friday 1 March 2013

"The worst example of cynical party politics I have ever witnessed"


I would like to applaud the actions of Cornwall Council Cabinet members Carolyn Rule and Lance Kennedy who have resigned from the Conservative Party as a consequence of the budget vote on Tuesday.

Lance Kennedy (above) today announced that he could no longer remain a member of the Conservative Party after they teamed up with the Liberal Democrats to force through cuts which could see the loss of 135 council jobs.
His statement in the Western Morning News is worth repeating. He said:

“What I witnessed on Tuesday was probably the worst example of cynical party politics I … have ever witnessed.

“Even when told that these consequences would be the loss of approximately 135 jobs, and a serious  reduction in capacity to a number of services, Conservative members again voted in favour of the ill-thought out and speculative Liberal Democrat motion.

“The most significant behaviour that appalled me and has finalised my decision to resign was that some of the group laughed and cheered as they achieved their zero percent goal with no regard to the staff affected, many of whom were in tears at the prospect of losing their jobs.

“I cannot continue to be associated with a party that has chosen, even in these difficult times, to put party doctrine ahead of the people of Cornwall.”

1 comment:

Limitless Reader said...

I believe this internet site holds some rattling fantastic info for everyone : D.
downtown la venues