Monday 6 November 2017

MK concerns about "strategic direction" study

Today, I have sent the below email to the leader of Cornwall Council. It is self explanatory.

As the leader of the Mebyon Kernow group, I am writing to formally express my concern at the nature of the work on the “strategic narrative” for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

You will already be aware of our misgivings about how the leadership of Cornwall Council commissioned this report for the “Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Leadership Board” without any input from the wider democratic membership of Cornwall Council.

On numerous occasions I have raised concerns about this, and I have also, quite often, asked about the progress of the work being undertaken by the consultants thinkingplace, but have had little or no meaningful feedback. This includes at the most recent meeting of the Economic Growth and Development Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 1st November, which was only two days before the presentation to the “Leadership Board” on 3rd November.

I have received a number of concerns from people who have heard about Friday’s briefing at the "Board" meeting, and I took some time over the weekend to view the webcast. I share the concerns that have been raised with me, and I note that it was confirmed at the Board meeting that the “strategic narrative” would be launched in January 2018.

I am seeking clarity on what the role of the Cornwall Council’s elected members will be in this process in the coming weeks, and when we will be able to have our say about the “vision” for Cornwall should actually be.

In addition, I was concerned to see that in the Board’s work programme, under “regional and sector collaboration,” there was the “development of Great South West.” This is not something that my group supports. We remain concerned at the significant effort going into this “regional” experiment from representatives of the public sector in Cornwall when they should be making a better case for the primacy of Cornwall in all forms of governance, administration, etc.

No comments: